Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars


2012 Napa Valley

Sauvignon Blanc

Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars began making Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc in the early 1980s. We combine estate-grown grapes with those purchased from a handful of skilled, fastidious farmers to create a wine that is complex, yet crisp and refreshing, and versatile with a wide range of dishes and occasions – from patio aperitif to elegant dinner party.

Vineyards & Winemaking

Our estate vineyard located adjacent to the Napa River in the Oak Knoll District provided the majority of the fruit (90%) for this wine. The other 10% was sourced from the Rancho Chimiles vineyard, just over the hill in the warm and clear reaches of Wooden Valley. Our estate vineyard brings spicy peach, guava and floral notes to the mix while the Rancho Chimiles Sauvignon grapes lend racy citrus and mineral notes to the wine. Our long-time grower Terry Wilson farms Sauvignon Blanc, Sauvignon Musque at Rancho Chimiles for this wine.

The juice from the vineyards was fermented at cool temperatures in a mix of neutral French oak barrels and stainless steel tanks. The wine was aged on light lees for almost six months, providing some roundness to the wine’s texture.

Tasting Notes

This vibrant Sauvignon Blanc opens with aromas of tangerine, grass and subtle passion fruit. The citrus flavors carry over onto the palate and lead to a quenching citrus filled finish. The wine’s crisp acidity makes it a perfect food wine.

Past Vintage Fact Sheets

2011
2010
2009
2008
2007

Appellation:
Napa Valley
Blend:
50% Sauvignon Musque, 50% Sauvignon Blanc
Alcohol:
13.5%
pH:
3.38
Total Acidity:
0.58 g/100 mL
Barrel Aging:
5.6 months sur lies
100% previously filled French oak barrels
Fermentation:
88% previously filled French oak barrels
12% stainless steel
Malolactic Fermentation:
None
Download Tasting Notes (pdf)
Estate Wine library