Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars


2011 Napa Valley

Sauvignon Blanc

Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars began making Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc in the early 1980s. We combine estate-grown grapes with those purchased from a handful of skilled, fastidious farmers to create a wine that is complex, yet crisp and refreshing, and versatile with a wide range of dishes and occasions – from patio aperitif to elegant dinner party.

Vineyards & Winemaking

Our estate vineyard located adjacent to the Napa River in the Oak Knoll District provided the majority of the fruit (74%) for this wine. The other 26% was sourced from the Rancho Chimiles vineyard, just over the hill in the warm and clear reaches of Wooden Valley. Our estate vineyard brings spicy peach, guava and floral notes to the mix while the Rancho Chimiles Sauvignon grapes lend racy citrus and mineral notes to the wine. Our long-time grower Terry Wilson farms Sauvignon Blanc, Sauvignon Musque at Rancho Chimiles for this wine.

Winemaker Nicki Pruss fermented the juice from the vineyards at cool temperatures in a mix of neutral French oak barrels and stainless steel tanks. The wine was aged on light lees for four and a half months, providing some roundness to the wine’s texture.

Tasting Notes

This vibrant wine opens with layered aromas of pineapple, stone fruit, green apple and lime. The palate is fruit-driven and round with pear, honeydew melon and lemon chiffon flavors along with hints of graphite and toasted almond. The wine’s bright acidity and lingering finish make it a perfect food wine. Pair this gracious Sauvignon Blanc with Trout Almondine, grilled shrimp wrapped in prosciutto or an omelette with fine herbs and gruyere cheese.

Acclaim

2011 Vintage
93 Points
Wine & Spirits
12/01/2013

Past Vintage Fact Sheets

2010
2009
2008
2007

Appellation:
Napa Valley
Blend:
59% Sauviginon Musque, 41% Sauvignon Blanc
Alcohol:
13.5%
pH:
3.38
Total Acidity:
0.60 g/100 mL
Barrel Aging:
4.5 months sur lies
100% previously filled French oak barrels
Fermentation:
76% previously filled French oak barrels
Malolactic Fermentation:
none
Download Tasting Notes (pdf)
Estate Wine library